Saturday, December 03, 2005

SSA should not mean Same-Sex Attraction

I take a pause from posting about my personal life to bring you this article from my home state's newspaper.

Gives you some insight into the way the Mormon church works. I'm so glad this didn't happen to me as much, but my heart goes out to others out there who are struggling as Matis did. I hate how the Mormon Church labels being gay as SSA to make it sound like a disease that can be cured. Also check out the part that says,
After a sacred experience Fred says he had in the temple in the hours following their conversation with Stuart, he and his wife prayed together there and "turned Stuart over to Heavenly Father." The details are too personal to recount, but a certain peace came to them, they said.

Basically this poor man's parents let him commit suicide after receiving inspiration in the temple that it was ok to let him go. How scary is that! I personally don't think God was behind that.

I bet I know what a favorite gift among my family will be this year for Christmas.

SSA really stands for sulfosalicylic acid and is used to test for protein in the urine. (I'm studying for my Renal exam.)

4 comments:

el veneno said...

I read Quiet Desperation and had the same thoughts. Isn't suicide really a much greater sin than homosexuality? I mean I feel for this family and what they must have gone through but we need to be able to say that God would probably rather have us live in our imperfect (and yes sinful) state then end our lives out of frustrated perfectionism.

CreamedHoney said...

Wondered if you had seen the movie
"Latter Day Saints" and if so what you thought of it. We recently added it to our pop.films collection. The lead character in the film attempts suicide.

Dave said...

That is my favorite movie. It hit really close to home and was an accurate description of a mission and how a coming out experience could be for a gay Mormon.

elbow said...

I have been reading your blog and I have been very interested. You seem like a wise and sincere individual. Congrats for all the strides you have made.
And about your post, I agree. I feel bad for the Matis family and for him especially. I don't understand how homosexuality can be THAT bad...I mean it stems from having love towards another person. No one should kill themselves because they feel love in an unconventional way.