Saturday, November 01, 2008

Countdown to the election

We are so close now, I can't believe it. Just a few more days left now. I can't hardly wait. I'm feeling pretty confident that Obama will win, though I don't want to jinx things. But the way the polls are going up to now it seems pretty clear that Obama is favored. I'm so happy that soon we'll will have a Democrat in the White House again. I'm feeling good that things will really change for the better in this country in the next four years especially with regards to the war in Iraq, health care and GLBT issues. I have a feeling we'll know Obama has one pretty early on in the night when he wins Virginia. I just hope that this doesn't keep the No on Prop 8 people from going to the polls. It really shouldn't though because Californians should be used to the fact that their electoral votes will go to the Democratic nominee no matter what anyways.

Now that I think the presidential race is all but over, my attention in these last few days is squarely on Proposition 8 in California. I am sick over this. I will be so disappointed and sad if Prop 8 passes. On the other hand I will be so happy if it fails. It will be such a great feeling knowing that the people of California support our rights and that we are accepted. It will be so amazing that we stood up to the Mormon church and won. If Proposition 8 fails it will help our cause so much throughout the country. I hope I'll be able to stay up on Election Day long enough to find out that Proposition 8 didn't pass and that same-sex couples will still be able to marry.

There are a lot of other exciting races I'll be following as well. Of course I'll be interested in the same-sex marriage bans in Arizona and Florida. I emailed my little sister in Arizona and asked her to vote no on Prop 102. Maybe she'll listen to me but it looks like this amendment will pass. The Florida amendment has to get 60% of the vote to pass so I'm hopeful that it will fail. I'll also be following my dad's Utah state legislature race. I think it'll be pretty hard for him to win as a Democrat in Utah County but a lot of people like him so we'll see. Maybe they'll but their silly superstitions about the Democratic Party to rest and realize he is the best candidate. I'll also be keeping track of the Senate races to see how many seats the Democrats can pick up. Hopefully two of those will be Senator Stevens and Senator Dole's seats. The Washington governor race is going to be a close one, a rematch of the really tight 2004 race. I think people might punish Gregoire for the way things are going since she is the incumbent. Also important is the Delaware governor race because when Joe Biden becomes vice president the governor will pick his successor, so it needs to be a Democratic governor to pick a Democratic replacement. I think the Democrat is favored though. Democrats are also favored to pick up the governorship in Missouri.

Other things of importance to watch: If Connecticut votes to have a constitutional convention, they may be able to add an amendment banning gay marriage which was recently legalized there. Also if New York gains two more democratic seats in the state legislature they will likely approve some sort of same-sex recognition.

It's going to be an exciting night on Nov. 4th. Here's hoping things turn out the way they should. GObama and No on Prop 8!

No comments: