Saturday, March 01, 2008

My comment on a post on a fellow gay med student's blog

I've recently found a blog that I find very interesting and well written and today I posted the following comment on one of his posts so I include here for you to read:

"I always enjoy reading your blog and this post especially hit very close to home for me as I too am going through the application/interview process for residency(Radiology) and happen to be gay. I am couples matching with my boyfriend and it got very tiring explaining that Kip was in fact a boy, not a girl like everyone assumed(has anyone ever heard of a girl named Kip anyway?) and eventually I just stopped correcting the interviewers because I got tired of them not understanding(with one interviewer I had to say it three different ways before he finally got it). If I could do it all again I would have been more clear expressing myself and not letting them make me feel uncomfortable for being gay but at the time I just let it slide because I didn't want them to look upon me negatively."

I think one of the main reasons most of the interviewers assumed that I was straight was because they all knew that I was Mormon-being from Utah, going on a mission and graduating from BYU-so that made them assume that Kip would have to be a girl. I found it rather impossible to let people know that I am no longer a Mormon so it was very frustrating to have to carry that misconception around just because I'm from Utah. I will find out on March 20th where I matched so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out especially since the program director at my #1 choice is Mormon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, I read your note on graham's page...you are a brave one. Goodluck. And why the hell do we need a computer that takes 3 weeks to match us? I can barely sleep...

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave. Brave comment. Bravo. Hope you get the match you wanted (and Kip too)

eleka nahmen said...

"Ethnic Mormon." It's the best description I ever adopted.

-L- said...

Good luck matching today. :-)

Dave said...

Thanks so much! I'm very excited to see where Kip and I will be headed.