Saturday, August 04, 2007

What AMSA thinks of the surgeon general nomination

I read this in an American Medical Student Association(AMSA) newsletter and it reminded me why I'm proud to be a member.

As the nation's largest, independent medical student organization, AMSA felt the need to stand up and oppose the United States Senate's nomination of Dr. James Holsinger to be the next U.S. Surgeon General. A report, "The Pathophysiology of Male Homosexuality," prepared by Dr. Holsinger in January 1991, regards the sexual practices of homosexual men as biologically pathological that inherently lead to, "a diverse and expanded concept of sexually transmitted disease and associated trauma." The paper continues to state that men and women have a sexual "complementarity" that speaks for itself, comparing male and female reproductive organs to pipe fittings.

"It is unacceptable to permit a physician who furthers a position that runs so contrary to contemporary medical practice to serve as Surgeon General," says Daniel Murphy, AMSA legislative affairs director. "Even in 1991, Dr. Holsinger's paper was unscientific and decades out of date."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. being a physician and my husband also...

The AMSA is based on scientific data and is accurate as of 2007.. I am sorry, I don't mean to offend. There are high risky sexual behaviors associated with the homosexual community. This comes from data taken from homosexuals themselves in various reports and studies..Because of this, unfortuately, many contract STD's, AIDS and other health problems. That is why I urge this community to get each potential sexual partner tested for AIDS and STD's before engaging in sexual contact. Good luck to you.

Dave said...

I'm confused...I was just expressing my support of what AMSA has said about the surgeon general nominee, not saying that gay people don't have a higher risk of STD's than the general population.