Saturday, May 27, 2006

LDS church encourages members to support the marriage amendment

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I'm studying for Step 1 of the boards right now so that's all I've been doing.

I had to post today though because I came across this article and it literally brought tears to my eyes, I don't know why it hit me like it did, I know the LDS church doesn't support gay marriage, but maybe it's because I just went to my sister's wedding and thinking that my family belongs to a church like this, it makes me really sad. I'm considering emailing them all and telling them my feelings, but part of me just says leave them alone. We'll see.

The article says,
"Voice your support for a federal marriage amendment, the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints urges in a letter to be read in LDS sacrament meetings Sunday.
The letter, sent to priesthood leaders in the United States, calls on Latter-day Saints to contact their senators to support a resolution calling for a constitutional amendment that would limit lawful marriages to those between a man and a woman."


The church is actually encouraging all of its members to actively support the marriage amendment and they're announcing that during the Sunday services. Words can't express how upsetting that is to me.

4 comments:

David Walter said...

So much for "My house shall be a house of prayer...."

Allie said...

I was more shocked they hadn't approved it already. I mean, Ohio already has one since last year, and they don't have the powerhouse LDS church. (I know my UCC church did NOT want that amendment to pass)

Dave said...

Oh Utah already has a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, this is referring to the U.S. constitutional amendment.

Sanjida said...

Honey, boards are over now (Congrats!)! Let's get an update!