Wednesday, September 07, 2005

California lawmakers legalize gay marriage

I happily read this in my daily New York Times email:

"California lawmakers on Tuesday became the first in the country to legalize same-sex marriage, with the State Assembly narrowly approving a bill that defines marriage as between "two persons" instead of between a man and a woman.

The 41-to-35 vote in the 80-member Assembly, which is controlled by Democrats, was along party lines, with no Republicans supporting the bill."

For those gay people who vote Republican because they "don't let their sexuality decide who [they] can vote for" (I heard this Saturday night) this is proof that Republicans do not support gay rights. How can you be gay and continue to support that party when they refuse to support gay marriage? It doesn't make sense to me, unless you hope we will never have the same rights as our heterosexual friends.

Let's hope Arnold will sign this bill into law. As for me, I'm California Dreamin' all over again.

So with this post I finally did one of the things that I set out to do last November.

[Update]

"Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger will veto the bill permitting same-sex marriages, his press secretary said this afternoon.

Schwarzenegger had hinted that he would veto the bill. Even if he had signed it, it would have faced an uncertain legal future because of Proposition 22 in 2000, approved by 61% of voters. That ballot measure said: 'Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.'"

That's upsetting, especially when I think of the millions of dollars the LDS Church put into the campaign to get Proposition 22 passed.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I believe gay Republicans can support their party because gay marriage is just one issue. Perhaps if getting married was a priority in my life right now, I might support the Democrats (wow, did I just say that?). But as it stands now, other issues for which the Republicans stand are more important to me.

I don't understand how you can say that belonging to one party or another can be based on a single issue. How can you be a doctor and support the Democrats? Don't you know that there are some in the party that want to put your industry in the hands of government regulators and increase the bureaucratic red tape it takes to treat your patients? Or what about laws that prevent doctors from collectively negotiating with insurance companies? I haven't seen a single Democrat that supports exempting doctors from the Sherman Act; if there is one, I'm not aware of it.

I know I'm not really being fair here, as I'm a delegate to the AMA and obviously know more about medical issues than most, but it's just one of many issues that an individual can identify with. Obviously, we feel differently about what issues we want to support, but what I want from this somewhat bitchy comment is to let you know that there is some reasoning behind my decision. I don't want to read that it "doesn't make sense to you" when it does for me.

Also, for the record, while one can assume that most Republicans do not support gay marriage, it's certainly not all. I, for one, obviously support equal rights to marriage for all people.

Thanks.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave said...

Yes we do disagree on which issues are most important in our lives. We'll just have to agree to disagree. At least now I know you read my blog.